Funding Options

How care is funded

Financing a place in a care home can be complex and is largely dependent upon personal circumstances. There are a number of options available and we’ve provided an overview to help you with your planning and decision-making.

Local Authority funding
Whatever your circumstances may be, it’s important to request a needs assessment from your local authority. It will help ensure easier access to funding, benefits and allowances to which you may be entitled. And even if you don’t qualify for financial assistance right now, the assessment may help in the future in the event that your circumstances change.

Your local authority will carry out a means-tested assessment, taking into account your assets, such as your home, and your income. Based on the value of your total assets and how it relates to the upper and lower limits of the government’s Capital Threshold, you may receive a contribution to your care costs. If this does not meet the fees of your chosen home, a third-party top-up payment can be arranged, usually through family or friends.

NHS Funded Nursing Care Contribution
If you are choosing a nursing home the NHS will normally contribute towards your nursing fees ie the care required by a Registered Nurse. This contribution – also known as Free Nursing Care – is given regardless of how your fees are paid. Again, it is based on an assessment and this will be arranged with the NHS by the home (subject to your consent) following admission. Payment is normally backdated to the date of admission.

NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding
Anyone who needs full-time NHS healthcare due to disability, accident or illness is eligible for NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding. It covers care and basic living costs, and is intended to replicate what a care home resident would otherwise receive in a NHS setting such as a hospital. It may or may not fully cover the home’s weekly fees.

Self funded
Residents whose capital assets exceed the higher means test threshold are expected to pay their own fees. Some residents need to sell property in order to pay care home fees and, depending on capital assets, the local authority will contribute to the fees for 12 weeks. This is called the Twelve Weeks Property Disregard and may require top-up payments or payment of the difference once the property is sold.

There is also a Deferred Payment Agreement for residents who have been unable to, or do not wish to, sell property to fund their care. The local authority will provide funding that is treated as an interest-free loan and secured against the value of the property.

In certain circumstances, Forest Care will accommodate residents who do not have a Deferred Payment Agreement and we will instead defer fee payments ourselves until the property is sold.

At Forest Care we are committed to transparency and fairness in our funding arrangements with residents. We accept residents whose care is funded through the above sources, or combination of sources, in line with our Fees & Funding policy. The policy also includes further details about funding options and how residents are assessed.

Need more help or advice? Please call the home that is of interest for an informal chat.

Free Care Guide

Download our practical guide which provides impartial and useful information on choosing the right care home and looking at the care options available.

Cedar Lodge is exactly what you would want for your mother when looking for a care home. The staff are warm and very professional. There are lots of activities and a lot of variety so that there's something for everyone. Care is very geared up to individual needs, and there is a really great atmosphere all around the home. The food is excellent and appeals to the residents. My mother is very happy there and is really enjoying life more than when she was at home. Very impressed.   

Cedar Lodge

Please visit our  Facebook page to view weekly events happening in our Homes.
View Live Information on this website under  the section ‘Our Homes’ to see what is happening today.
Holly Lodge – Wild Science will be visiting us on the 23rd August at 2.30pm. Join us in the Activities Room.
Cedar Lodge – Stephen will be here to entertain us on the 27th August in the Lounge at 2.30pm.